Thursday, January 17, 2013

Setting Goals in 2013



“You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream.”                  – C.S.Lewis

With the arrival of the New Year, I looked back on my “Goals for 2012” list I had written twelve months ago. It always provides me with a sense of satisfaction and achievement when I’m able to cross a significant number of things off this annual list.

There were twenty-four goals I had written down on my list for last year and I managed to tick nineteen of them off as either achieved (Goal 19: visit somewhere new – hello Edgar and Annie’s Excellent Epic Adventure to England!) or partially achieved (Goal 14: de-clutter house and life…)

Of the five things that I didn’t cross off (Goal 23: put photos into photograph albums), two will go onto my list for 2013 (along with my partially achieved goals) and three I’m giving the flick to because I’m no longer interested in pursuing them. That’s the beauty of goals and dreams; you don’t have to stick rigidly to them. Goals can be passionately pursued, modified or completely discarded in favour of new ones as you wander along that long winding path that is uniquely yours in life.

Having a tendency towards making impulsive, spur-of-the-moment decisions based on whims, I feel it’s to my benefit to write down a list of goals at the start of every year. Like other people who believe in the power of manifestation, I am a firm believer that it at least helps to guide me towards what I’d like to achieve… even if it’s only on a subconscious level.

Taking the time to stop and think about what I’d like to achieve in the coming year gives structure and purpose to my day-to-day life and encourages me to try new things.

This year’s list is far from complete but one big goal I’ve written down for myself in 2013 is completing the Great Victorian Bike Ride (GVBR).

I first became interested in the ride when I lived in Melbourne during 1989 and 1990 and thought, “I’m going to do that one day.” Needless to say life got busy and I didn’t have the GVBR down as a priority. Move forward to 2011 and the GVBR landed on our doorstep (literally) as the ride came through Barham. Since then I’ve thought a bit more seriously about taking part; cue manifestation…

Once you start focussing your energy on something, it’s amazing how things start falling into place. Suddenly I’m running into people everywhere I go who have done the ride. Every one of them is wildly enthusiastic, full of helpful advice and encouraging me towards my goal. In my mind, this is clearly a sign…


No comments:

Post a Comment